Sunday, June 19, 2011

Even angels get the blues....


The Project Runway circle journal is now underway, and this is my entry for the first CJ I have received.

It comes from Kathy in Ireland, and her chosen Project Runway challenge was the one from season 4 where they could use only denim and white cotton to make an outfit for Levi Strauss.

I've used denim from a favourite, but now retired, pair of jeans to make the wings of my very own "stonewashed angel" - and the angel herself is an inkjet image transfer of one of my graveyard photos onto fabric from one of Connor's old white t-shirts, which he had tie dyed so it has a faint blue pattern showing through.

Other nods to the theme are the little Levi-style tab in the title:


And the yellow stitching and halo of antique copper eyelets in place of the rivets on a pair of jeans:


I really like how the image transfer came out, soft and dreamy.

And I also love the happy accident of how the dark spots in the salt background (made in response to a Marit's Summer Camp prompt) worked their way through the acrylic paint that I used to stamp the title, giving it a really great texture....almost like the lichen patterns you so often see on stone angels.  Perfect!

Isn't it great when things work out just right all by themselves.

6 comments:

Rosie said...

Love this, you happy camper! What a fascinating family group you have (the hedgehog made me giggle!!).
Nice getting to know you better!! =)

Carmen said...

Gorgeousness. I'm glad you posted the close ups because I missed the halo and yellow stitching. It's all so well thought out and... well... gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Love this, although I haven't got a scooby what Project Runway is....

Marit said...

Thanks for explaining the angel.. aaah, I haven't done a tranfer in a while. My fingers itch! The page is awesomely gorgeously stunning (are those words?) I'm totally in love with it!

Nigel said...

Superb pages. I've just found image transfers and they're so easy, I don't why I didn't know about them before :)

fatmonica said...

This is just fabulous!