Friday, December 19, 2008

This year's Christmas cards

I tried not to make too many cards this year, because making stuff should be fun, and churning out cards can turn into a chore. But I think I got the balance ok because these were all fun to make.

First batch were for Connor's teachers and grandad and aunty, and feature the pic I took of himself last month rocking out with the Guitar Hero geetar:

Nice and easy, just needed to add some patterned paper from a DCWV Christmas stack I have had forever, German Scrap wings, and "hark the herald angels sing" on funky, stripy dymo tape which is a lot more legible in real life, honest.


The second set of cards were for my hockey pals. This one was a bit more involved. The snowman was stamped first with waterproof ink on plain white card, and then coloured in with watercolour pencils. Once the colouring was dry I went over him completely with a Versamarker and then embossed with three layers of clear EP.

I then masked the snowman and a section to the bottom of the panel with a curved border, stamped and clear embossed the snowflake pattern to the top end of the card. And with the masks still in place I blended distress inks (broken china, faded jeans and dusty concord) in the sky to reveal the embossed snowflakes.

The scratchy lines on the "ice" were made with the edge of a credit card dipped in light blue dye ink. And the glittery stuff (soooo sparkly-bling bling!!) is "opal dust" from Jo Sonja.

The close up pic shows how the opal dust catches the light:

The remaining two cards were one offs:

I absolutely love making cards for Mandi and Lee because I get to do something a little non trad :)

The Stampotique goth girlie was stamped in black on white card and clear embossed. Then I masked her and stamped a script stamp to her right in pearlescent lavender ink and a harlequin pattern to her left in silver.

Once these were dry I blended distress inks over the top (dusty concord and black soot), and spritzed with a little glimmer mist (black cherry) for luck.

Her hat is decorated with purple stickles and white flock.

The dymo inscription reads "tis the season to be jolly!"

And last but most definitely not least is Ian's card.

He likes purple, so I gave him a purple sky. I hope it's not too girly with the sparkly stars on top of the trees!

The background is faux batik made with purple, blue and silver glimmer mists. It's lovely and shimmery in real life. The trees were stamped in purple stazon onto silver card and cut out and stuck onto the background.

The greeting is a rub on.

Th-th-th-that's all folks

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely gorgeous ! I love the herald angel and the goth girl the best ! Such irreverant humour, I love it !

I am so jealous ! On a not so creative streak right now...burnt out with trying to please others, I think ! So happy to know that Sarah has her creative mojo flowin' !

Do you ever sit and just watch your own slide show ? There are so many beautiful things flashing by me, I am having a hard time concentrating on my comment !

Anyway, Sarah, I am wishing you a holiday filled with humour and laughter and fun family moments ! All the best to you, my Creative UK friend !

Anonymous said...

lol I love the card youve made using Connors fab photo...I bet they raised a few smiles!
And I so want some Stampotique stamps now Ive seen your card...better put them on my wish list.
Merry Christmas and a very happy new year to you and yours.

Angelnorth said...

Fun cards, love the goth girlie and the emboss resist on the various snowflakes BGs looks fab!

joanne wardle said...

all your cards made me smile! great work

** Paula ** said...

The hockey Christmas card is just fab! Love the ice marks!!!!