Monday, July 14, 2008

Picket fences


It's been so long since I blogged anything creative that I've forgotten what I usually write...

ummm... these are for a swap, and I had a ton of fun making them....

The fences are made from wooden coffee stirrers from Maccy D's - they are narrower than lolly sticks, so better suited to the scale of this project.

The first one was Alison's idea (I was staring blankly at the three plain fences I had made and had no idea where to start, so I fired her a text - "pearly gates", she said - "brilliant!" I said :))

So I cut the fence posts down at the sides to resemble gates, collaged away with religious texts and a doyley, sprayed it to death with pearl Glimmer Mist, added a padlock with white wire, a rather dour looking angel with vellum wings, and one of my favourite quotes, and bob's your uncle :) Not really my usual style at all, but I like it.

One down, 2 to go....



The next one is more my usual kind of thing - purples and reds and a Stampotique goth girlie.

The fence for this one was primed with black gesso, and then overpainted with red and violet interference paints, stamped with watermelon pigment ink and then oversprayed with pearl Glimmer Mist (seeing as it was still out from the last one :))

The girl was coloured with watercolour pencils and a waterbrush, and her hair is made from thin black wire.

The angry cat and cobwebs (made from a cool snippet of fabric sent to me last month as a swap host gift by the lovely Audrey Hernandez) finish this one off nicely.

Last one:



Number three was just plain fun to make, although it has a sad story:

My poor little alien has crash landed, and as he sits amongst the rusty wreckage of his ship, all he can do is sit on a battered old farm fence and look folornly at the skies :( I'm sure he'll be rescued soon though.

The fence was stamped with musical notes (for his sad, homesick songs, sob), and then randomly overpainted with red-oxide acrylic paint and antique linen crackle paint. After the paint had cracked I went back over it all with a light coat of aged mahogany distress ink.

My alien pal was coloured with watercolour pencils and perched on top of the fence (I removed one post to make him more comfortable). His ship wreckage is made from a cool bit of rusty metal I found in the street (packrat, me???). And the little sign is just card and string, hung onto the fence with a small brad.

7 comments:

Wabbit said...

Love, LOVE, LOVE the fences! They are way cool. Very imaginative. Now I must make some too for some houses I'm making for a swap. Thanks for the great idea!

Anonymous said...

I love that Gothy one. It's awesome.

Zuzu's Blog said...

well firstly I need to thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such lovely comments. they are greatly appreciated and it inspires me to keep trying when other like minded artists say positive things!
secondly. I am glad you did leave a comment or two as now I have found your blog.. I may never have known about it if you hadn't.
Love these fences .. love the little goth girl one..
and wow at all those little houses in the last post.. what a challenge to sort them all out !!!

Anonymous said...

i love these! especially your goth girly!

Sharon said...

Hi! I just had to stop by and thank you for all the kind comments you left on my blog. It really is lovely to receive such positive feedback. :)

I am in awe of your little fences ... what a brilliant idea! Now that's creativity! *clap, clap*

You can be sure that I'll come back again and visit soon. You have a FABULOUS blog!

Bye for now.

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

aww poor ol' alien. These are fantastic. You have a real flair for 3D pieces.

joanne wardle said...

wow these are fantastic, what a brilliant idea. they are quirky! I like quirky!